2. EDUCATE. Promote education and conversation around death. Even small things like code status could make a difference.
Code status refers to type of treatment a person would or would not desire if their heart were to stop beating or if they were no longer breathing on their own.
Full Code means
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) which means chest compressions. Often results in broken ribs.
- Shocks which consists of shocking the individual w/ 200-360 Joules. This is an attempt to electrically jumpstart the heart
- Cardiac arrest medications. Provides an artificial means to attempt to chemically support the heart
- Intubation w/ mechanical ventilation involves placing a breathing tube that connects to a breathing machine
DNR or DNAR means
DNAR or DNR stands for "do not attempt resuscitation." It does NOT mean withholding any type of medical treatment (such as antibiotics, fluids). It means avoiding the interventions listed above. It does NOT mean do nothing. In cases where E.R. doctors don't think a patient can be saved, instead of putting them through full code trama they can administer comfort care that will allow the patient to spend their last hours with loved ones in as little pain as possible.
Why would anyone want to avoid the interventions listed above?
- Low chance of success
- If patients survive, it is often w/ severe disability, they don’t return to the life they had.
- The interventions are violent and often end with patients dying on the operating table unable to say goodbye to their loved ones.
AT WHAT COST?